Tuesday, September 4, 2012

{ august rewind }

August came to an end and I realized I had a few weeks of catching up to do. And it seems I've gotten quite lazy with getting the camera out so iPhone pictures and Instagram will have to suffice. Here are a few things that rounded the last few weeks of August for us:

A trip to the zoo with cousin Owen and Auntie E to see the dinosaur exhibit before it ended. It was actually quite impressive with very realistic, moving dinosaurs throughout the exhibit. It was a hit with Owen, liked by Oliver, and Stella is still undecided. We heard a lot of "no, no dinosaurs" while walking through it. Which also explains why she isn't sitting on this one.
The last weekend of the month I completed my first triathlon in THREE years! It was a perfect morning for a race - a little humid and overcast. I was lucky enough to have a friend from my running group participating in it so we were able to help keep each other company all morning. And a long morning it was......I was up at around 4:30am, hit the road around 5:15am, arrived in transition/set-up around 6:00am, and my wave didn't go until 8:20am. My training in the few weeks before the race wasn't great and I went into the race with the goal to finish feeling good. But after seeing only a few swimmers from my age category out of the water before me, I realized that I might actually have a chance to compete for time. And thanks to a much nicer borrowed road bike from my brother Kyle, I  was able to keep up on the bike and my run was strong with a 7:37 pace. I finished in 1:18 and took 4th place in my age group. Looking forward to next summer and seeing what I can do with proper training!

Chop was a brave soul and ventured to watch the race with Oliver and Stella. I can honestly say that I had the easier challenge that morning!
We continue to go for a lot of walks in the BOB and Oliver and Stella's favorite way to do that is with ice cream in hand. Love being only two blocks from the Malt Shop for this reason!
A new park opened up near the Lake Harriet bandshell and though the playground equipment is better suited for older kids, Oliver and Stella discovered the water pump/sand area on a visit. They loved digging sand, pouring water, jumping in sand puddles, and covering themselves in sand. Owen took a trip there with us one morning and the three of them had a blast!
In our house it can't technically be called "back to school" shopping but with cooler weather ahead Oliver and Stella's wardrobes are being updated with some cool weather digs. They discovered these in a bag and thought it was really fun to wear them around the house.
We headed to the Lodge for Labor Day and a long four day weekend. We ended up with great weather and sunshine. Our friends the Delaneys came up for a night, though I neglected to take any pictures of the two sets of twins together.

Other highlights of the weekend included Oliver catching his very first bass. Never underestimate the power of a CARS fishing pole and a rubber worm.
The usual boat rides - this particular one was a "dessert" cruise.
And heading to Hayward, WI to go on a Wilderness Walk. Picture wild animals (bears, bobcats, wolves, tigers) in cages but not really the kind of reinforcement you would find at a true zoo (more rural Wisconsin). And then there were just random animals running around. Nothing dangerous, just chickens, peacocks, deer, etc.
Though the highlight for them might have been the 25 cent rides. That or the suckers they got when they turned in their ticket at the end. Too close to call.
This day trip wouldn't have been complete without a visit to Vanderhydes. This little attraction dates back years ago when our family vacationed in Shell Lake and for some reason went to Vanderhydes. It is a mix between a bar and a convenience store, where you can find years expired food and beverage, local townies having a beer, and bikini clad posters everywhere. Classy WI joint.
It was tempting but we managed to get out without buying a t-shirt.
Chop's request for our final breakfast at the Lodge was homemade donuts. Growing up, these were a classic. Oliver and Stella approved.....mainly by licking the sugar off the donut. Num!
Good-bye summer and hello fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment