Sunday, September 1, 2013

{ good-bye summer }

Summer has been winding down over the last few weeks but we've packed a lot of fun into a short amount of time!

The hot temps over the last few weeks also allowed for us to have some water adventures. We headed to Eden Prairie one morning to check out the new Round Lake splash pad and Anna, Lydia and Owen joined us.
It was a great splash pad and it also had a beach right next to it. Perfect sunny morning for both!

Our neighbors invited us over to help break in their new slip and slide......though the kids didn't really understand that you were supposed to run and slide on your belly. They preferred just running on it and slipping!
Last weekend I had my last tri on Saturday morning (thankfully, as I will fully admit I signed up for too many and was burned out!). It was in Maple Grove so Chop, Oliver and Stella made the relatively short trek there to watch.

It was most definitely not my favorite race of the season for several reasons - over 1,000 participants so it is crowded, venue is difficult to get to, run course is through suburban neighborhoods, etc.  My age group wave also got a late start time so I had to wait around for almost two hours before racing. At that point in time it was sunny and hot!
My swim was decent, bike speed was good considering it was windy and hilly, but my run was atrocious. It was about 1 minute per mile slower than past races and my training runs. I ended up placing 6th in my age group.....a "normal" run pace would have gotten me in the top three. Next year - oh wait, I swore I would never do this one again :)!
I did have the cutest cheerleaders there though!
That afternoon ended up being sunny and even hotter so we tried a "new" to us pool in Highland Park. O and S loved it and I wish we had discovered it sooner!
We then did something we haven't done in a long time and ventured out with kids to a "normal" restaurant. And by that I mean not Noodles or something else that is super kid friendly. We lucked out and got outdoor seating at The Blue Door Pub, where we enjoyed burgers called The Frenchy and The Jiffy Burger (peanut butter, pickle, bacon).

And the day wouldn't be complete without topping off dinner with ice cream. Izzy's ice cream is by far the best on the east side of the river and quite possibly in all of the cities.
Sibling love at it's finest!
We then topped off a fun Saturday with an impromtu trip to the Lodge. The forecast was calling for mid 90s and we wanted to take advantage of it by spending it on the lake and in the water. And we did just that!
We even got Grandpa C in the tube for a ride with Stella!

And to beat the heat after a few days at outdoor park pools last week we tried out an indoor park, Good Times Park in Eagan. Super fun and a great escape from the weather - warm or cold!
And now September has arrived, Labor Day is upon us, and the first day of preschool is a few days away. And this has returned.......
 More to come in following posts on all of those things!

No comments:

Post a Comment